DSpace

King Saud University Repository >
King Saud University >
COLLEGES >
Health Colleges >
College of Dentistry >
College of Dentistry >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/16166

Title: Oral hygiene status among orthodontic patients
Authors: Atassi, F.
Awartani, F.
Keywords: Oral hygiene status; orthodontic patients
Issue Date: 2010
Publisher: Procter & Gamble Company
Citation: Journal Contemporary Dental Practice; 11(4): 25-32
Abstract: AIM: The aim of this study was to evaluate the oral hygiene status of patients with fixed orthodontic appliances. METHODS AND MATERIALS: The following indices were used to evaluate the oral hygiene status of patients in orthodontic treatment: gingival bleeding index (GBI), plaque index (PI), and ortho-plaque index (OPI). A self-administrated questionnaire was prepared covering oral hygiene practice, oral hygiene cleaning aids, and number of visits to a dental hygienist. RESULTS: Fifty patients (15-30 years old) were selected for the study from among the orthodontic patients treated at the King Saud University College of Dentistry, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Results showed that the PI and OPI were high with mean scores of 65.24 (SD 16.43) and 53.56 (SD 8.74) respectively, while the average GBI was a much lower value at 19.14 (SD 7.95). No significant difference was observed between male and female patients for the PI (p=0.925) and for the OPI (p=0.072), but a significant difference was observed for the GBI at the 5 percent significance level (p=0.033). The result of OPI showed that 20 (40 percent) of the patients had fair oral hygiene, whereas 30 (60 percent) had poor oral hygiene. Only 16 (32 percent) of the participants reported visiting the dental hygienist during their orthodontic treatment, while the remaining 34 (68 percent) did not. CONCLUSIONS: The oral home care of the orthodontic patients surveyed was not at an optimal level, which indicated the need to establish an oral hygiene maintenance program. CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE: Inadequate oral home care among orthodontic patients may make them more prone to develop gingivitis during orthodontic treatment. It is, therefore, essential that oral hygiene instructions and a hygiene maintenance program not be overlooked during orthodontic treatment.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/16166
ISSN: 1526-3711
Appears in Collections:College of Dentistry

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
research 10.docx19.21 kBMicrosoft Word XMLView/Open

Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

DSpace Software Copyright © 2002-2007 MIT and Hewlett-Packard - Feedback